I thought I would start with a very brief
我觉得我得从城市的历史
history of cities.
简单说起
Settlements typically began
人们聚井而居
with people clustered around a well, and the size
揭开了典型的定居生活
of that settlement was roughly the distance you could walk
而这种定居的范围,也不过是你头顶着一盆水
with a pot of water on your head.
所能走的距离罢了
In fact, if you fly over Germany, for example,
其实,假如你能从德国上空飞过
and you look down and you see these hundreds
往下看,你会看到数以百计的小村庄
of little villages, they're all about a mile apart.
每个距离约一英里
You needed easy access to the fields.
这样你就到地里去就很方便了
And for hundreds, even thousands of years,
几百几千年以来
the home was really the center of life.
家就是生活的中心
Life was very small for most people.
所以对大多数人来说,生活范围其实很小
It was the center of entertainment, of energy production,
家是欢乐,动力
of work, the center of health care.
工作,和医疗的中心
That's where babies were born and people died.
在那里,也有生老病死
Then, with industrialization, everything started
之后工业化的兴起,
to become centralized.
一切开始变得集中起来
You had dirty factories that were moved
那些污浊不堪的工厂
to the outskirts of cities.
都搬到了郊外
Production was centralized in assembly plants.
产品也都被集中到装配厂
You had centralized energy production.
我们还把能源生产也集中起来
Learning took place in schools. Health care took place
学校是学习用的
in hospitals.
医院是治病用的
And then you had networks that developed.
然后网络也发展起来了
You had water, sewer networks that allowed for this
供水管网,污水管网也使得
kind of unchecked expansion.
不断的扩张成为了可能
You had separated functions, increasingly.
慢慢地,我们把不同的职能给区分开来
You had rail networks that connected residential,
铁路网连接到了住宅区
industrial, commercial areas. You had auto networks.
工业区和商业区,汽车交通网也建立起来了
In fact, the model was really, give everybody a car,
事实上,这个模式就是,给每人一辆车
build roads to everything, and give people a place to park
把路给修起来,然后在人们停车的地方
when they get there. It was not a very functional model.
弄个车库,其实这并不是一个行得通的模式
And we still live in that world,
但我们依旧生活在这样的环境下
and this is what we end up with.
所以这就是我们所得到的
So you have the sprawl of LA,
所以就有了洛杉矶的扩展区
the sprawl of Mexico City.
墨西哥城的扩展区
You have these unbelievable new cities in China
在中国匪夷所思般崛起了各种新城市
which you might call tower sprawl.
也可以称为“雨后春笋”
They're all building cities on the model that we invented
他们都是基于我们在50年代或60年代发明的模式
in the '50s and '60s, which is really obsolete, I would argue,
在建城市,我觉得这样是跟不上时代的
and there are hundreds and hundreds of new cities
而此时此刻,不计其数的城市
that are being planned all over the world.
正在世界各地紧锣密鼓筹备兴建
In China alone, 300 million people,
单中国来说,3亿人口,
some say 400 million people,
有的说4亿
will move to the city over the next 15 years.
将会在接下来的15年里搬迁到城市里
That means building the entire, the equivalent
这就等同于要美国
of the entire built infrastructure of the U.S. in 15 years.
在15年内建造起整个国家基础设施
Imagine that.
想象一下
And we should all care about this
我们都应该关注一下
whether you live in cities or not.
不管你是否住在城里
Cities will account for 90 percent of the population growth,
城市主宰着90%的人口增长
80 percent of the global CO2, 75 percent of energy use,
全球80%的CO2,75%的能源消费
but at the same time it's where people want to be,
同时,也是人们向往的地方
increasingly.
这情况与日剧增
More than half the people now in the world live in cities,
现在世界上一半以上的人口住在城市里
and that will just continue to escalate.
而且还会不断增加
Cities are places of celebration, personal expression.
城市是人们庆祝和表现的地方
You have the flash mobs of pillow fights that a