It seems that since the arrival of the smartphone in 2007, we've seen the arrival of a new problem, a uniquely 21st-century problem. While the world has gotten a lot more connected, people have become more disconnected, losing the art of conversation and real human interaction.
似乎自从2007年智能手机的降临以来,我们已目睹一个新问题的到来,一个特殊的二十一世纪问题。虽然世界变得更加连结起来,人们却变得越来越失联,失去了对话及真正人际互动的艺术。
The problem? Ignoring the person in front of you in favor of your smartphone. Just about everyone does it.
问题出在哪呢?忽略你面前的人,站在你的智能手机那边。大概就是所有人都这么做。
But if these behaviors has become such a big issue, why weren't we talking about it? Well, probably because there wasn't a word for it until now.
但如果这些行为已经成为这么一件大事,为什么我们没在谈论它呢?这个嘛,也许因为没有一个形容它的字,直到现在才有。
I don't know if you know what phubbing is.
我不晓得你们是否知道“低头”是什么。
That phubbing is...
“低头”是...
Phubbing—a term you may not have heard of.
低头--一个你也许没听过的词汇。
Phub-bing.
低、头。
Phubbing!
低头!
Almost varying degrees of phubbing...
几乎有不同程度的低头现象...
You've just been phubbed.
你才刚被“低头”了。
Ok, stop! Take a step back. Where do words like this even come from? Where did this one come from?
好的,停止!退个一步。像这样的字到底从哪来的?这一个字打哪来的呢?
Well, on an otherwise unremarkable day in May 2012, a group of people gathered at the University of Sydney, Australia. Amongst the group was a lexicologist, a phonetician, a debating champion, a poet, several authors, and a cruciverbalist—that's a professional crossword maker. Their mission was to create a word that would get people to put their phones down, and get talking to each other again. And so, with a room full of brilliant minds, the search for word to describe ignoring others in favor of your phone began.
嗯,在2012年五月一个除了这件事以外,一切都很普通的一天,一群人聚集在澳洲雪梨大学。在那团队之中有一名词汇学家、一名语音学家、一位辩论冠军、一位诗人、几个作家,还有一个填字游戏专家--那是专业的填字游戏出题者。他们的任务是要创造出一个可以让人们放下手机,再次和彼此说话的字。所以,带着一屋子满满的聪明脑袋,找寻形容“忽略他人、站在你的手机那边”的字开始了。
Phubbing. And he's a phubber. And would you stop phubbing me?
低头。他是个低头族。你可以不要再对我低头了吗?
The word was released into the wild the following day, seeded into social conversations, and championed by a new movement known simply as "Stop Phubbing."
这个字在隔天被释出到外头、播种在社交对话中、并被一个单单以“停止低头”为人所知的全新运动所拥护。
From its country of origin it spread, first, through the English-speaking world, then Brazil, and right through South and Central America. Europe was next, followed by Southeast and Central Asia. Within a year, over 180 countries were using it.
从它的原产国开始传布,第一,穿过英语系国家、然后巴西、接着直直传过中南美。欧洲是下一站,接着是东南亚和中亚。在一年内,超过180个国家都在用它。
Phubbing: The war against anti-social phone use.
低头:打击反社交手机使用的战争。
Why the "Stop Phubbing" campaign is going viral?
为什么“停止低头”运动流行起来?
Phubbing can be "phatal."
低头可以是致命的(注一)。
Are you a phubber?
你是低头族吗?
The backlash against phubbing.
对抗低头的反对声浪。
Ignoring the person in front of you in favor of your phone was now a behavior with a name, and a behavior being questioned right around the globe, all because of a single word, a single word born in a university hall at the bottom of the world.
忽略面前的人、站在你的手机那边现在是一个有名字的行为了,也是一个就在世界各处被质疑的行为,全都因为一个字,一个在世界尽头的大学讲堂内诞生的字。
Language is always changing. Update your dictionary.
语言永远在改变。更新你的辞典。
注一:此处是取 ph 发音和 f 一样的特色,将原本是 fatal(致命的)单字变成 phatal,以和 phubbing 押头韵。