"I could hardly leave in the clothes I came in — what would the neighbors think?"
“我不能穿着我来时的衣服离开——邻居们会怎么想?”
I pouted.
我不悦地撅起嘴。
"You were very deeply asleep; I didn't miss anything." His eyes gleamed. "The talking came earlier."
“你睡得很沉,我没有错过任何东西。”他的眼睛闪闪发亮。“梦话提前了。”
I groaned. "What did you hear?"
我呻吟起来。“你听到了什么?”
His gold eyes grew very soft. "You said you loved me."
他金色的眸子变得非常温柔。“你说你爱我。”
"You knew that already," I reminded him, ducking my head.
“你早就知道的。”我提醒他,不由得垂下了头。
"It was nice to hear, just the same."
“那还是一样,听到你亲口说出来让我很高兴。”
I hid my face against his shoulder.
我把脸埋在他肩膀上。
"I love you," I whispered.
“我爱你。”我耳语着。
"You are my life now," he answered simply.
“而现在,你就是我的生命。”他只答道。
There was nothing more to say for the moment. He rocked us back and forth as the room grew lighter.
此时此刻,我们再也没有更多的话要说了。他来来回回地摇着我们,房间里渐渐明亮了起来。
"Breakfast time," he said eventually, casually — to prove, I'm sure, that he remembered all my human frailties.
“早餐时间到。”他最终若无其事地说到——这是一种保证,我敢肯定,他在保证他会记得我所有的人类弱点。
So I clutched my throat with both hands and stared at him with wide eyes. Shock crossed his face.
所以,我双手扼住自己的喉咙,盯着他看。震惊的神情掠过了他的脸。
"Kidding!" I snickered. "And you said I couldn't act!"
“上当了!”我窃笑着,“你还说我不会演戏!”
He frowned in disgust. "That wasn't funny."
他厌恶地皱起眉:“这一点也不有趣。”
"It was very funny, and you know it." But I examined his gold eyes carefully, to make sure that I was forgiven. Apparently, I was.
“这很有趣,你知道的。”但我仔细地审视着他金色的眼镜,想知道自己是否被原谅了。很显然,我被赦免了。
"Shall I rephrase?" he asked. "Breakfast time for the human."
“我应该这样改述吗?”他问道。“人类的早餐时间到。”
"Oh, okay."
“哦,好吧。”
He threw me over his stone shoulder, gently, but with a swiftness that left me breathless. I protested as he carried me easily down the stairs, but he ignored me. He sat me right side up on a chair.
他温柔地把我扔到他石头一样的肩膀上,但动作快得让我透不过起来。他轻而易举地把我抱下楼,我伉仪过,但被他无视了。他把我放到一张椅子上。
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。