雅艾尔:我的祖母。
She's Miss Sunshine; always looking on the bright side of things, even now that she's ninety-eight years old.
她总是很阳光,总是看事情的光明面,即使现在她已经98岁高龄。
It's rather extraordinary.
这的确难能可贵。
Seems to me there couldn't be much to be happy about at that age, except that you're still alive I suppose.
我想要是除了你还活着,否则对我来说活到那个岁数也不可能会快乐。
Don:That's exactly what I'm talking about.
唐:那正是我接下来想谈论的话题。
Research shows that whether a person is an optimist or a pessimist is related to their quality of life, including their physical health.
研究表明,无论一个人是乐观主义者还是悲观主义者都和他们的生活质量息息相关,也括他们的身体健康。
The subjects involved first took personality tests in the 1960's and then thirty years later they completed a follow-up self-assessment of their health status.
受试者在20世纪60年代参与第一次性格测试,而30年后他们又完成了一次接下来的自我健康状况的评估。
Researchers found that not only did the optimists from the 1960's report better physical and mental functioning thirty years later, but that optimists also lived longer on average than pessimists.
研究人员发现30年后不仅当年报告的乐观主义者具有更好的生理和心理功能,而且比悲观主义者的平均寿命要长。
It's hardly clear that there is a causal relationship between optimism and health;
乐观的生活态度与健康之间的因果关系并不明显;
it could be that they are related to the same underlying gene complex or set of mechanisms.
有可能是相同的潜在复杂基因或机制所致。
Still, it sure is tempting to surmise that it's partly your grandmother's positive attitude that has kept her alive this long.
不过,当然很容易推测部分是你祖母的积极态度使她这么长寿。
It may actually be possible that a lot of what my parents have been telling me for years is true.
实际上可能多年来父母一直千咛万嘱我的是正确的。
If you think positively, good things may happen to you.
如果你态度积极乐观,好运终会降临到你身上。
If you think negatively, then you may doom yourself.
如果你自身消极,那么你可能会毁灭自己。
Yael:They also say that a positive or negative attitude can be contagious.
雅艾尔:他们也认为积极或消极的态度可以传染。
If that's true then I guess I ought to spend more time with my grandmother.
如果这是真的,那么我想我应该花更多的时间陪陪祖母。
I'm not getting any younger.
我已经不再年轻。
Don:Can I come too?
唐:我可以一起去吗?