妈妈做的,麦格说。
Aunt March sent it,said Jo.
马奇姑妈送来的,琼说。
Youre all wrong,laughed Mrs March.Old Mr Laurence sent it!
你们都错了,马奇太太笑着说,是老劳伦斯先生送来的!
The Laurence boys grandfather?said Meg.But we dont know him.
是那个劳伦斯家的小男孩的祖父?麦格问,可我们不认识他呀。
Hannah told his servant about your breakfast party,and that pleased him,said Mrs March.
海娜给他的仆人讲了你们的早餐聚会,那让他感到很高兴,马奇太太说,很多年前他就认识我父亲。
He knew my faher many years ago,and he sent me a note this afternoon,asking if he could send my cbildren a few small Christmas presents.
今天下午他送来张纸条,问他可否给我的孩子送些圣诞礼物。
The idea came from that boy,I know it did!said Jo.
这一定是那个男孩的主意,我知道,琼说,
Im sure he wants to know us,but hes shy,
他一定是想认识我们,可他很怕羞。
and Meg wont let me speak to him when we pass him in the street.
我们在街上碰到他时麦格不让我跟他讲话。
She says that its not at all polite for young ladies to introduce themselves to strangers.
她说女孩子主动跟陌生人搭讪太没礼貌。
You mean the people who live in the big house next door,don't you?
你是说住在隔壁大房子里的人吗?
said one of the other girls.My mother knows old Mr Laurence.
其他女孩子中的一个问。我妈妈认识劳伦斯先生。
She says he keeps his grandson in the house when the boy isnt riding or walking with his tutor,and makes him study very hard.
她说除了骑马和跟家庭教师散步,他总让孙子呆在屋里,让他用功学习。
We invited the boy to our party but he didnt come.
我们曾邀请那男孩参加我们的聚会,可他没来。
That boy needs to have some fun,said Jo.
那个男孩需要些乐趣,琼说。
关于《小妇人》
所有这些,赋予这本书超越时代和国度的生命力,这也正是她成为不朽的经典的魅力和原因所在。